Monday, April 11, 2011

A Drug Court Story....

From the NADCP website.  Their Drug Court Story of the Month:

My name is Ashley L. and I am a graduate of the 6th Circuit Court Juvenile Drug Court in Michigan. My early drug use brought me to a long-term residential treatment center at the age of 14. After 18 months in the program, I ran away. For the few days that I was gone I used various drugs, some of which, I did not know what they were. After 5 days, I was found by the police and taken to a juvenile detention center until sentencing for home truancy.

At 16 years old I was admitted into the Oakland County Juvenile Drug Court program. I struggled with the new form of responsibility and accountability for the early months of my program. But as time went on, I began to listen and learn the tools that were being taught to us. I successfully completed the program in just over 11 months. For months after, I continued to volunteer with the court to run a self-help group for the girls still in Drug Court. Since graduation, I have done several public speaking events on behalf of the Oakland County Drug Courts and other related organizations.

I am now 18 years old. I have recently celebrated 2 years of being clean. I graduated high school with honors and my Drug Court probation officer was sitting in the audience as I walked across the stage. I am enrolled in college and am on the Dean's List. I maintain employment and now live on my own. My family relationships have been restored to better than when we first began. I have done exactly what the Treatment Court programs are designed for. I have and will continue a life of recovery and have become a productive member of society.

I have carried on with the tools that Drug Court gave me and I keep in close contact with those who were involved with the process of my program. I do that for two reasons: the first is to continue to give the team hope that there are successes among those in their program and to thank them for their continued hope in me through my dark times; the second reason is to remind myself of where I once was and the journey to where I am now.

I think back to July 15th, 2008, when I was so terrified as I was being admitted into the Juvenile Drug Court program. My head was filled with fear and doubt of my ability to complete the task ahead of me. Then, I come back to reality and look around. I see the life that I have made with the help of the team and my gold-plated problems do not seem quite as bad. I will always consider myself a part of the Juvenile Drug Court and owe the program and its team members my gratitude for showing me the potential I always held within.



*****DON'T FORGET TO SHOP AT HARRY'S MARKET THROUGH JUNE!  And Donate Your Dime!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment