Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shoes for the Soul!

In February, a little angel helped out the families of the Family Dependency Treatment Court!

Monica Gutierrez, the current Reconnecting Families intern, saw a need and decided to take action.  And take action she did!  Last week, Monica showed up with 136 pairs of shoes for the families of FDTC.  Allowing these families to overcome the shame of tattered shoes is just another way RF gives these families a hand up.

Here is how Monica made it happen, in own words...


I am currently an intern at Reconnecting Families. There is much to say about this opportunity I am grateful to experience, there is however, an aspect that has impacted me to go the extra mile. Watching children reconnect with their parents and receiving gifts of benevolent acts caused a spark of ideas in me. My idea? One hundred pairs of new shoes. I thought of nowhere better to start than my own church. 

I gathered the members of the ministry, "Speak Out" of Restauracion Atlanta, the church I currently attend, and presented to them my grand idea. "Let's collect one hundred, new pairs of shoes by the end of February." As all were in agreement, as well as encouraging, I took the next step in presenting it to my church. I read them statistics and explained the evident, yet unknown necessities our own and neighboring counties consists of. As February flew on by, and finally reaching the last Sunday of the month (in other words, the last day to accept shoe donations), we totaled in 136 pairs of shoes! I had no doubt my church would genuinely donate, but I am honest to say I was astonished by the immediate responses and surpassing our goal! I am glad to serve in making a difference in my community.


-- 
Monica Gutierrez




1 comment:

  1. I do not even understand how I finished up here, however I thought this post
    used to be great. I don't understand who you might be but certainly you're
    going to a famous blogger should you aren't already. Cheers!

    Feel free to surf to my blog ... how much should you weigh

    ReplyDelete